1. Reuniting of a Kurdish Family
In December 2006, the Association held an emotional press conference in Baghdad,to cover the reuniting of a Kurdish family from Arbil, who lost one of their women at the early nineties. Her name was Rahma Khudher Ali (born 1949),and was found in the course of one of the Association’s activities in the district Shinafiyah in Diwaniyah, and in coordination with Arbil’s Office, her family was identified and she was returned to them. After her return to Arbil, a press conference was held, in which the Minister of the Anfal in the region’s government, and the representative of the Association participated. The woman Died after suffering from a long fatal illness on the 22nd of May 2008.
2. Emergency Aid for the Floods’ Victims in Kurdistan
In November 2006, IAA contributed to the(Relief Project for The Victims of the Floods Families), in the areas and villages of Suran and Chum-man in Arbil, to provide aid to (167) harmed families. The aids included food, fuel and clothes, with the support of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
3. Emergency Aid for Displaced People in Karbala Governor ate
From May to July 2007, the Association implemented a project to provide emergency aid to (3108) vulnerable internally displaced refugees’ families to the govern orate of Karbala,including more than 500 poor local families, distributed in 61 areas in the province’s center, and some of Karbala’s districts. 31 food items and non-food items was distributed, to meet some of their basic needs. This was accomplished through the support from the IOM, and the serious and fruitful cooperation with the Department of Immigration and Displacement in the govern orate, Karbala’s govern orate council, local councils and the mayors in areas covered by the program. This project has given the Association a good reputation and credibility, with Karbala province’s officials, local councils, directors, and beneficiaries in particular, since the implementation process was characterized by close cooperation with all parties concerned, and high transparency in the presentation of its budget to the media during a news conference held after the completion of the project.
This project has allowed the Association to conduct a field research on the situation of the displaced in the govern orate, as well as preparing a research by the youth group for civil dialogue in Karbala on human security by studying the situation of the displaced.
4. Ramadan Aid
IAA carried out in September 2008 (during the holy month of Ramadan) in cooperation with a number of NGOs, and the support of the Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan Charitable establishment and the United Nations Development Program, a project for humanitarian aid, which included providing 110000 Iftarmeals for widows, the displaced and disadvantaged families, as well as distributing 30000 school bags with stationery on orphaned students and those in need. The scope of the project included 11 provinces: Baghdad,Anbar, Salahadeen, Kirkuk Sulaimaniya, Diyala, Babil, Karbala,Najaf, Diwaniya and Basra.
The project’s aim, in addition to providing the mentioned aid, was to give opportunities to the widows themselves to participate in the distribution,and to support the local market, in addition to the activation of joint action among various civil society organisations and other local groups, for the humanitarian aim of solidarity with the affected groups, disadvantaged and marginalized members of the Iraqi people.
5. Aid to Poor Families
- During the years 2003, 2004, the Association received amounts of in-kind donations,such as medicines, medical supplies and clothes from Greek, Spanish, Swiss and British INGO’s, which has been distributed to disadvantaged and poor families in a number of govern orates.
- In July 2006 and March 2008, the Association, with the support of the International Orthodox Christian organisation, distributed food and cleaning supplies to 170 poor Iraqi families in different areas of Baghdad. Also, IAA provided in May 2007, in cooperation with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society, food aid to fifty displaced and poor families.
- In October 2007 and in September 2008, the Association’s Office in Najaf, in cooperation with ICRC, distributed food and medical aid, kitchen utensils, on families including families of 77 widows and divorced women from the center,districts and areas of the province.
- In April 2008, with the support of the ICRC, the Association along with It an a women’s Assembly in the govern orate of Nineveh, and Al Hamzah women’s charity Assembly for widows and orphans in the govern orate of Babil, participated in the distribution of humanitarian relief aid to 500 displaced families in Nineveh plain area, and in the districts and outskirts of Al Hamzah area.
- At the end of 2007 on the occasion of the holidays, Kirkuk group for civil dialogue among young people initiated a campaign to collect nearly 4000 dollars in donations from the local community, and in coordination with mosques, to purchase clothes,toys and stationary, which was distributed to more than 300 orphans.
6. A Range of Other Aids
- IAA,during 2006, provided financial and in-kind support such as devices and medicines to the Association for Educating and Rehabilitating Palestinian children, by establishing a Center for emergency housing for Palestinian refugees in Baladiat District in Baghdad,in the wake of violence against this group, as well as the program of Al Fatat Center in the same area.
- In September 2006 the Association made donations to the Supporters of Humanity for Cancer Association in Basra,to purchase medicines for twenty cancer afflicted children.
- In 2006, IAA donated the sums of expenses for several surgeries. The first surgery was during the month of February, for a child, from Al Jihad area in Baghdad, Alaa Hussein,who underwent surgery, as a result of severe body burns. The second operation was during the month of May, for Mrs. Athraa Mohammed, from Camp Sara district in Baghdad. IAA also made financial donations to Iman Hussein Abdel Jawad, a (33) old years old woman, a residents of Qadisiyah area in Baghdad, to have a kidney transplant operation at Karama hospital. And also the Association provided assistance in cash and in kind for a number of underprivileged families in need for devices and medical equipment and home appliances.
- The endeavors of the Association were successful in April 2008, in cooperation with local and international parties, in sending a student to receive medical treatment in Jordan.She was wounded in a terrorist explosion, in Baghdad in May 2006. She was able to return to resume her studies again.